The Howard County Forestry Board has been involved in the Howard County Fair for over two decades. The Forestry Board's display is always a major attraction.
A good deal of material is made available and distributed freely to the visitors at the Fair. Among the publications are the following.
- Howard County Forest Facts
- Our brochure describes how important forestry has become in Howard County. Facts culled from a variety of sources are listed. The programs of the Howard County Forest Board are introduced.
- Howard County Arboreta
- Two brochures for the Wilde Lake Arboretum and the Jackson Pond Arboretum, both situated in Columbia, Maryland, were available for distribution. These brochures explain the program and list the particular trees growing in those parks.
- A Guide to having Tree Care Work Done on a Roadside Tree
- A publication of the Forestry Service of the Maryland Department of Natural Resource, this pamphlet explains the 1914 Roadside Tree Law. That Law and its regulations were developed to protect our roadside trees by promoting their proper care and protection and ensuring their compatibility with nearby public utilities.
- Mature Tree Care
- Published by the International Society of Arboriculture, this pamphlet focuses on preventative health care for trees as an investment in natural beauty that pays big dividends.
- Trees and Turf
- Woody plants and turfgrasses are both critical components of design plans for homes, offices and parks. This pamphlet by the International Society of Arboriculture discusses the problems and practices to ensure the best way to maintain both trees and grassy areas.
- Insect & Disease Problems
- Another small pamphlet from the International Society of Arboriculture, this discusses the factors causing plant problems, and initial suggestions regarding what to do about them.
- Give the Gift of Trees
- Tree-mendous Maryland is a program of the Forestry Service of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. This flyer makes an appeal for contributions to the program to plant trees in public areas in Maryland.
- Think Trees
- This small pamphlet by the International Society of Arboriculture points out the function and value of trees in our culture. It makes the simple point that our future depends on the survival of trees.
- Trees for a Cleaner Bay
- A pamphlet produced by the Forest, Park and Wildlife Service of Maryland DNR explains the value of forest buffers in the watershed of the Chesapeake Bay. The pamphlet suggests that forest management information is available including possible cost-sharing assistance.
- Streamside Forests: The vital, beneficial resource
- A cooperative publication of the University of Marylands Cooperative Extension Service, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Forest Service of Maryland DNR, this booklet investigates the crucial role played by streamside forests.
Champion Tree Nominations
- The Howard County Forest Conservancy District Board is developing a roster of the Champion Trees in Howard County. Nomination forms were available at the Howard County Fair